Thanksgiving Box Pantry List and Suggested Timeline
The Pantry List
If you wish to make all the recipes, you will need the following:
- 1 lemon (to garnish brown butter kale)
- 1¼ cup white sugar or sugar substitute (cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie)
- ½ cup brown sugar (pumpkin pie)
- spices: cinnamon, cloves, ginger (pumpkin pie)
- 2 tsp orange zest (dressing)
- 2 cups chicken or turkey stock (dressing)
- 5 TB olive oil (dressing and roasted roots)
- 3 TB vodka (pie crust- you can substitute water)
Here is one possible time-line to get your Thanksgiving dishes on the table at
the same time and (hopefully) with limited stress! All steps are detailed in the recipes
(except no recipes are included for turkey or gravy).
Roast pumpkin and puree pulp.
Make cranberry sauce.
Make roasted root veggies.
Make potato-parsnip puree.
Clean and slice delicata squash.
Toast hazelnuts for dressing.
Toast bread for dressing.
Chop shallots, mushrooms, parsley, and thyme for dressing.
Trim and halve Brussels sprouts.
Start turkey roasting.
Stem and wash kale. Blanche, squeeze, and store in the refrigerator.
About two hours before meal time:
Make dressing and put in oven (needs to bake for 55 minutes).
Cook up delicata squash fries and sit down with your guests for some well-deserved relaxation.
30 minutes before meal time:
Remove turkey from oven to rest.
Put roasted roots and potato parsnip puree in oven to reheat.
Cook Brussels sprouts.
Brown butter and toss with kale.
- Accept offers of help!
- Prepare as much as you can ahead of time.
- It is about sharing a delicious meal, not about perfection.
- You may have more food in your box than you need or want for a single meal. All ingredients will keep well for several days, many for much longer.